Our short game Seek is being polished and primped before its early Feb greenlight date, and as always, the polish is the accessory that takes the longest amount of time. It’s been pretty mundane as far as content for updates go… We look at a scene, then we say “Oh this would look better this way,” then we change it (repeat until your brain hurts).
I wanted to make this post to talk about things I learned while making DatingSims. Making DatingSims was very much a learning process for us and we really wanted to use it to expand our own understanding of the full end-to-end process of making a game. For my part this was all about the backbone of the game. My background before creating this game was actually mostly in the java world although not java web development like most people but building modding platforms for the game Minecraft. Due to this a lot of my existing knowledge of how to build a program actually had to go out the window as what is a best practice for a lot of applications is often very bad for making games where you care a lot about memory footprint, layout and the overall performance of the game.
For DatingSims we decided not to use an existing engine or framework as its a simple game and it would defeat the goal of trying to learn. So everything to make the game run was written by me just for this project. With perhaps the obvious exception of using opengl for rendering and fmod for sounds.