It’s hard to believe that 3 weeks have gone by, but we’re knee-deep in that familiar slog that is “the middle.” Whether a game is completed in a month, or 6 months, or 3 days, the middle of a game’s development is always the hardest. What we’re trying to say is that we didn’t get much done this week, and that’s okay.
We’ve decided to name the game “Seek,” since it’s basically a giant game of hide-and-seek with various inanimate objects. It’s a little title for a little game.
Continue reading “Dev Update: Third Week of January”
2017 is under way, and we’re not wasting any time getting right into a new game. Instead of going the visual novel route, we’ve decided to try out 2D navigation and interaction.
Since exploration is the focus of many 2D adventures, the game will be, for the most part, a scavenger hunt.
Continue reading “Dev Update: First Week of January”
I wanted to make this post to talk about things I learned while making DatingSims. Making DatingSims was very much a learning process for us and we really wanted to use it to expand our own understanding of the full end-to-end process of making a game. For my part this was all about the backbone of the game. My background before creating this game was actually mostly in the java world although not java web development like most people but building modding platforms for the game Minecraft. Due to this a lot of my existing knowledge of how to build a program actually had to go out the window as what is a best practice for a lot of applications is often very bad for making games where you care a lot about memory footprint, layout and the overall performance of the game.
For DatingSims we decided not to use an existing engine or framework as its a simple game and it would defeat the goal of trying to learn. So everything to make the game run was written by me just for this project. With perhaps the obvious exception of using opengl for rendering and fmod for sounds.
Continue reading “Post-release: Dating Sims (Engine Edition)”